Friday, November 17, 2006

Hotels....blah

I have officially decided that I hate hotels. The very thought of how many people have slept in the bed I am now occupying is enough to turn my stomach. From the gross stains on the white washcloths to the sinks that never quite look clean to bathroom doors that don't lock, I detest the so-called hotel chain comfort. Perhaps it would not be so bad if I were in a 6 star hotel, but who really has the money for those? I think I am more of an RV type (the nice ones). I like to know who has been sleeping on my bed, looking in my mirror, and using my toilet. I personally do not have great trust in maids. I know that they are paid to clean, but it is my opinion that if a maid cleans someone else's mess day after day for years and years they are bound to get a wee lazy in their cleaning. There are many things I have always wondered about hotels. First, who gets paid to decorate? As I look around my room right now, the carpets clash with the drapes, the bed covering clash with the wall border, and the wall color clashes with the pictures. So apparently the decorator thought that by clashing everything, it would all match. Secondly, why do hotels pretty much always have white towels? They stain and show dirt the easiest. And if the purpose of having white towels is to let guests know that the towels are in fact clean, then why do most of them have stains on them? Also why are the bathrooms usually completely white (well at least originally white but have become dingy with age)? You would think that in an effort to make their hotel look as new and clean for as long as possible they would choose another color that would stay fresher longer. Although I am a huge fan of choices and it makes my heart glad to see two types of fluffy pillows on my bed clearly labeled: soft and firm, I wish they had thought of the millions of people who need to sleep on flat pillows lest they have chronic neck pain the next morning. I feel like I should throw out a couple positive components about hotels: I love the ice machines and the coffee makers in the rooms. End of positive. The majority of the objections I have against hotels would not bother most people. I tend to be a wee bit persnickety when it comes to things of that nature. I like things that are dirty to be my dirt, not some stranger's (who may have diseases) dirt. With a soilder's grim determination, I grit my teeth a plunge ahead into the unknown filth, taking comfort in that fact that if I don't survive my stay at Holiday Inn, I will be going to heaven.

4 Comments:

Blogger Becca said...

Once I graduate and have a lot of money, I'll build a sterile house for you to live in. Does that sound good?

11/18/06, 1:04 PM  
Blogger kiwi said...

yeah, sometimes i wonder about the clashing deco. in hotel rooms! it's quite amusing.. and the white towels too..doesn't really make sense. I totally agree with you about the pillows, they're usually way too soft and puffy, it hurts my neck! okay, enough complaining-it is Thanksgiving week after all! ( :

11/19/06, 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe...I totally agree with you! Although I also hate the ice machines...they are not the nice machines you think they are. Did you know that ice machines at hotels and restaurants are breeding grounds for bacteria? I hate to break it to you, but every person who dips their hand into that ice or puts their grubby fingers on the ice scoop (which I guarantee not everyone uses) is spreading bacteria. I saw a special on it, and ever since, I don't get public ice. Like you said, who knows where their hands have been?! Okay, I am done ranting about the ice...like Kiwi said, "it is Thanksgiving after all." :D

11/21/06, 12:04 PM  
Blogger Einfach Warten said...

a. You are never allowed to comment on my blog again for such disturbing comments.

b. There were no scopes involved

c. Can you imagine what is in the ice machines at work???

11/23/06, 12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home